November 2018 - Be true to you - by Tanyalee Kahler

Hello lovely artists, welcome to my first inspiration piece for the Art Daily Project. I am so excited to be part of this project with the friendly team.

I have been art journaling for about five years now and I find it to be one of the most therapeutic activities in my life. I use my journal to process all of my thoughts and emotions and it is my safe place to express myself.

My inspiration for the month is to show you how I have started to use the Art Daily Kit in my usual art journaling style. So, let’s begin…


I’m using one of the inserts included in the kit and I started by adding a layer of clear gesso in case I used watercolour on the page.


I like to use hidden journaling in my pages, so with this spread I journaled using acrylic ink and a nib. I like to write in a messy style and overlap the writing, so it becomes illegible. Anyone else who sees the page can’t necessarily understand the messages, but I can and that is all that matters.


I then used impasto paints to add colour and to disguise the journaling even more. I love using water with acrylic paint to make drips down the page. It adds emotion and texture without much effort.


To finish off my spread I glued down a piece of a napkin that contained butterflies, and then drew some florals and a message to myself.

I actually started this spread with the intention of including some flaps as doors over the floral scene, kind of like a secret garden. But when I reached this point, I decided to leave it as is. So, while the inspiration came from the theme – DOORS – my artwork is missing that key element. That’s what happens when you work intuitively though I guess. 


If you feel inspired by this month’s theme - DOORS - please feel free to add your project to inlinkz below:

Comments

Popular Posts