JANUARY 2019 – STORIES UNTOLD - INSPIRATION BY TANYALEE KAHLER

Hi there Art Daily adventurers. We are well into the new year and I hope that your artistic journeys have been inspiring and fruitful. I have been laying low due to a little surgery which has meant less time at my art desk and a lot of time in bed resting. That being said, I still have some inspiration coming your way.



This month’s theme is Stories, and I have prepared a spread in my art journal following that theme and would like to tell you a bit about it.




I started off this project with the intention of creating a video tutorial, but technology was against me and when I went to remove the footage my memory card was corrupted, so instead I am going to talk to you about how the mood board inspired me and how that inspiration turned into an art journal spread.

You see, I work very intuitively so never plan out a spread or artwork in any way. I will start of being inspired by something I see or hear or watch and use that as my starting point. For this spread I was inspired by the colour pink – it is my favourite colour and I have been addicted to Finnabair’s Vintage Pink Impasto paint lately so that was my starting point. I put down a layer of pink paint in my journal (which is an altered book with gessoed pages).


I was inspired by the texture that was left with the gesso and impasto paint so the next step was adding some tissue paper florals and vintage book pages with handwriting. This pulled the background together well, especially when I added some more of the pink paint to blend it all together.

All the while I was thinking about the Untold Stories theme and I was drawn to a vintage photograph sticker from the Art Daily collection. I fussy cut the lady out of the background and stuck her to the page. And it was a natural progression from there to incorporate the washi tape sentiment ‘Your Story Matters’


If you are familiar with my work you will most likely notice that I use a lot of ink and cannot end a page without some ink splatters and dribbles. And this page is no different. I used white acrylic ink to add to the texture and vintage feel, and of course some black ink splatters.



My last step was to journal my thoughts: 

“We all have a unique history and it’s important to record it in some form. I choose tell my story through art”

How do you tell your story?



If you feel inspired by this month’s theme – STORIES UNTOLD - please feel free to add your project to inlinkz below:
Inlinkz Link Party

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts